Monday, December 03, 2012

Go, and Come

Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you.  Genesis 12:1
Paula Gooder, in The Meaning is in the Waiting says that the translation of the word go in the above verse brings problems.  This word go can mean go, if you are standing with someone, or it can mean come, if you are far away from someone.

I actually like the contrast.

We are told to Go.  Imagine the benediction of a worship service, with the one leading worship standing with us, in front us of, and relating God's word to us to Go into the world.  I can imagine God standing with us, giving us directions.

I can also see that when we are far away from God, he calls to us, and tell us to come.  There are times when we hear a call, as if from far away, and we know it is God giving us directions, giving us leadership.  Come, come to where I am and do what I am doing.

For a God whose kingdom is now and not yet, whose son died but is alive, a command to both go and come seems reasonable, and even just right.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home