Sunday, June 17, 2012

Place

According to Frederick Buechner, the intersection of the place where God calls you and the world's deepest need is joy. I quote that often, and we use it at work to describe what we do. We help people to find that place -- that intersection -- and we call it sacred ground.

As I told that to a church today, I heard the word place. Location. God calls us to action, to a place in our lives. He also calls us to a location -- a place.

The job I do now was a change in place -- a change in my place in the world and in ministry, but also a physical change of place.

Changing what we do brings opportunities. Changing where we are does the same thing.

Sometimes our call is to a change of action, and sometimes it is to a change of place. I think about the pastors who are changing places in the United Methodist Church at this time of year, and I call on all of us to keep them in our prayers. Changing places is a frightening thing to do.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home