Thursday, June 14, 2012

A book Meme

I was looking for something on my blog, and I ran into this MEME, originally from Cheesehead in Paradise (a blog that is no longer available, sadly).  I thought it was worth running again, with new answers:
Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!): This was more difficult that it would seem.  The book closest to me, The Seeds of Heaven doesn't have 123 pages.  The next book was in my iPad, which was fine by me, but it was a kindle book wihtout page numbers.  Someone else in the office has the hard copy book, so I borrowed his.  The book is Reading the Women of the Bible by Tikva Frymer-Kensky.  I'm working my way slowly through, and I highly recommend it.
Find Page 123 and find the first 5 sentences.  Page 123 is part of the chapter about the story in Judges 19 -- a terrible, terrible story about the Levite and his concubine. 

Post the next 3 sentences. He sits in the town square, but no one offers him hospitality. An old man comes from the fields who is not a native of the town - he is from Mount Ephraim, where the Levite lives, while the poele of the town are from Benjamin, a different Isrealite tribe - and invites them to stay at his house. Without a doubt, the Benjaminites who live in the town should have taken the tavelers home, but perhaps it was not wise for the man from Ephraim to do so?

Go read the story in the Bible.  It is at the end of Judges and it portrays Israel at the end of a period of time of "implosion and dissolution."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home