Sunday, June 10, 2012

Muscle Memory

When I worked in the lab, there were certain tasks that I did -- such as pipetting liquid into 100s of tubes -- that were accomplished through muscle memory.  Do a task often enough and your body learns how to do it, without much direction from you.  In fact, when I was pipetting, if I thought about it too much, I would make a mistake.  As I write this post, it occurs to me that typing is probably another one of those muscle memory tasks.  That must be why when I took typing in school, we practiced so much.  Practice enough, and the body knows how to do the task. 

I have a friend who often talks about praying without ceasing.  I wonder if that is one of those muscle memory tasks.  Do it often enough, with enough of a habitual routine, and the body and mind just move toward it, without the conscious instruction of the mind.  I wonder if that is part of what it means to pray without ceasing.

Jack was talking today about taking pleasure in the small joys of life -- grandchildren, family, friends, nature, etc.  If we live in the kingdom of God, now, today, then surely there are glimpses of heaven.  We will see them if we will just look for them.  Do it often enough, and build up the muscle memory for seeing those glimpses.  Do it often enough, and when God's kingdom comes fully in our lives, we will see it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home