Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Living our Doctrine

As part of my CLM training, I reading the book Living Our Beliefs by Bishop Kenneth L. Carder.

First of all, let me say that the copy of the book I'm reading belongs to our Annual Conference's Resident Bishop -- I borrowed it from him.  It has the Bishop's highlighting in it.  Cool.

The introduction talks about the idea that some people believe that we United Methodists don't have any real beliefs -- that we are "live and let believe."  Not so. 

But, the United Methodist church did not originate out of a battle over doctrine.  We began as a renewal movement from the Church of England.  Carder states that Wesley's concern was that our beliefs shape our lives.  What we believe should have an impact on how we live our lives.

"In other words, beliefs are to be lived, doctrine is to be practiced."  An authentic belief will bear the fruit of impacting and shaping our lives into the image of Christ.

To me, that says that Wesley would not be as concerned that we state our doctrine as much as he would want our lives to demonstrate our doctrine.

Sound familiar?  To me it is right in line with James -- faith without works is dead.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home