Thursday, October 13, 2011

Conviction

Balance.  Moderation.  They are good words.  Words that are positive.
Read this quote from Living our Beliefs by Kenneth Carder:
“It makes no difference what you believe as long as you are sincere.”  Such a claim is often made in the name of faith and tolerance.  The affirmation, which is itself a belief or tenet of faith, makes sincerity the criteria for religious devotion.  It assumes that all religious beliefs are equal and their validity is judged by the firmness with which they are held and the sincerity with which they are acted upon.  Truth becomes synonymous with strong conviction, and faithfulness if validated by “it feels right.” (p23)
I agree with him that my conviction that something is truth doesn't make it truth.  My conviction should arise from truth; it doesn't work in the opposite direction.

Is there a danger in this, though?  Is there a danger that my own conviction that I am right make me arrogant?  How do I balance the idea that not everyone can be right against the idea that I and only I am right?

Perhaps the best I can do, in most situations, is to say, "This I believe...."

Carder also says this:
However, although Wesley and the Methodists “were fully committed to the principles of religious toleration and theological diversity, they were equally confident that there is a ‘marrow’ of Christian truth than can be identified and that must be conserved.”
(p25)
I like that --  a marrow of Christian truth.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home