Sunday, February 13, 2011

Roman 12 Random Thoughts

Present yourself as a living sacrifice – remembering Dennis’ comments about a living sacrifice at the last team meeting. Brings to mind resurrection, complete commitment, surrender of self.

A sacrifice holy and acceptable to God – God must have done this; I am not on my own holy or acceptable to God.

A living sacrifice, made holy and acceptable to God – By God, the work of God. Thanks be to God.

Renewed and transformed minds – it follows, then, that this is also a work of God. 

A transformed mind -- A change in the way we think.  Through the work of God, we start to think with the mind of God.  The way we think and react, respond, is more in line with God's leading.

Present yourself – but also a work of my own, requiring my participation.

So that you may discern what is the will of God – Transformed by God, surrendered to God, I am able to be in relationship with God.

The will of God – good, and acceptable and perfect. Do I always think of it that way?

Not to think of yourselves more highly than you ought – Listen.

Each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned – even faith, a gift from God.

measure of faith- ??Not sure what this means.

We are members, one of another – interesting to me. Not just me, a member of the Body of Christ, linked to Christ, together with others, but me, a member of one another. More than a part of something larger, but a part of each other?

Marks of a True Christian:
  • Genuine love
  • Abhorrence for evil
  • Maintain what is good – hold fast to it
  • Love one another with mutual affection – outstretched arms
  • Outdo one another in showing honor – honor each other, not in return, but in response to God
  • Zealous
  • Ardent in spirit – on fire with the spirit – reminds me of Pentecost
  • Serve the Lord – perhaps this is not a characteristic all its own, but is a motivation for the rest. When you do this, you are serving the Lord
  • Rejoice in hope – so often we rejoice in cynicism
  • Patient in suffering – rejoicing in hope would enable patience in suffering, I would think.
  • Persevere in prayer – without ceasing. Keep talking to God
  • Contribute to the needs of the saints – love
  • Extend hospitality to strangers – love all
  • Bless those who persecute you – reminds me of praying for my enemies – asking God to keep their best interests at heart.
  • Rejoice with those who rejoice – No room for envy there
  • Weep with those who weep – clear vision to the needs of others, to the hurts and grief of others
  • Live in harmony with one another – singing different notes that make music, avoiding discordant notes
  • Do not be haughty – How often do I need to hear these words?
  • Do not claim to be wiser than you – And these?
  • Take thought for what is noble in the sight of all – If there is anything good, think on these things....
  • Vengeance is mine, I will repay – Trust God in this.
  • In doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads – a jarring and different ending to the chapter than I would have expected.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home