Monday, February 07, 2011

Communion Welcome

Rocks and the water wall at St. Marks
I really need to get out with my camera and take some pictures.  I'm am just about out of image sources for the blog.

Anyway, back to communion.

We -- theologians, clergy, lay people, believers, church-members, Christians, Protestants, Catholics -- try to explain communion.  We think of theories, we preach about it, we pray about it, we study it, we listen to sermons about it.  We act as if we have figured out at least some of it.

Then we say (sometimes, some of us) that children should understand what is going on before they are invited to participate in communion.

Aren't we fooling ourselves?   Is understanding really a prerequisite to partake? 

Communion is God's action -- God's invitation -- God's grace. 

I don't understand grace, and I am certainly blessed and thrilled that my understanding of grace is not a requirement to receive it.  Communion is the same.  I can appreciate it more through study of it, but I don't have to have an understanding of it in order to participate in it, and neither do children.

God loves you, and he invites you to share grace.  Welcome.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

When the Minister calls us to the table all he says is all those who love Jesus may partake. This seems most God like to me love before understanding.

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home