Sunday, November 07, 2010

Consecrated

The choir sang an anthem today called Consecrated. "Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to thee."

As they sang, I thought about the word consecrated.

  1. For something to be consecrated by God, there must first be a willing giver. "Take my silver and my gold, not a mite would I withhold." That kind of offering requires someone who is willing to give away that which is precious without regret.
  2. It also requires a willing recipient. Who would want to give a gift to someone who was not willing to receive it. God is a willing recipient. I believe he meets what we give to him with a joyful, divine response.
  3. Consecration also involves transformation. The song anticipates not just that God will receive what we offer, but that he will make it holy. Our offering of it does not make it holy; God's reception of the gift consecrates it -- makes it holy.
  4. Giving and receiving also allow for transformation of the giver. We are changed and transformed as we offer our gifts to God.


    • "Take my heart, it is thine own...."

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home