Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Seneca Rocks

I stopped today at Seneca Rocks and walked over to the Discovery Center. I mainly did it to get a good view of the mountain.

While I was there, I walked through the Discovery Center itself. Right in the middle is a map of the are -- in raised relief. Since 8th grade, I have known that the highest peak in West Virginia is Spruce Knob, and I have visited the area before, stopped at Seneca Rocks, Dolly Sods, Canaan Valley, etc. And I've driven on the roads in the area.

Today was the first time, though, that I have understood the relationships between all of these places, their placement among the mountains, and how the roads traverse the area. Here I was, standing within site of the beautiful rock formation outside, and I'm fascinated by the table-sized relief map of the area. Cool!

Spruce Mountain isn't just a knob, it's a large mountain that stands between Seneca Rocks and Elkins. Dolly Sods is the next mountain over. To get to Elkins on 33, you drive up a ridge, passing between them. Or something like that.

Anyway... It's amazing the difference seeing it in 3-dimensions made on my understanding of the geography of the area.

It reminded me of yesterday's post -- how we can't see the big picture, but God can.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home