Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grace on the Shore

I've always liked the scene at the end of John where Jesus cooks breakfast for the Disciples on the shore of the sea. What's not to like? Breakfast. Outside. On the beach. What could be better?

There are so many things about the scene that remind me of the life of Jesus and the Disciples. I imagine that was comforting to the Disciples, even as they were seeing that their rabbi was resurrected. It had to be a strange morning otherwise!

  • He came to them again as they were fishing, as he had done before.
  • Bread and fish -- remember the feeding of the 5000?
  • I wonder how many meals that had shared together in this way?
  • I wonder how many conversations with Peter Jesus had had like the one on this morning?
The grace and forgiveness are palpable in this scene. There is comfort in that. Peter had betrayed Jesus, and yet he was forgiven and given a mission. Even as I know of my own failings, I find grace in the scene. Grace for Peter; grace for me.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

I like how Jesus forgives Peter 3 times. It gives symmetry to Peter's 3 denials of Christ.

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home