Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Grace dances

I'm co-teaching a class using the book by Philip Yancey -- "What's So Amazing About Grace." I tell you that as a means of warning: I imagine there will be many "grace" posts in the next few weeks as I reread the book and listen to the discussion in class (hoping there will be discussion).

Let's start with this quote from W.H. Auden:
I know nothing, except what everyone knows -- if there when Grace dances, I should dance.
What does that quote mean? I imagine there are several interpretations, and perhaps all of them might be right in some manner.

  • If we are a witness to the grace of God in action, then perhaps we are called to celebrate -- to dance. Grace is celebration worthy.
  • If we are the recipients of grace, then we should dance along -- in the presence of grace, we should be willing to receive it. Haven't you ever been resistant to grace?
  • Perhaps my favorite interpretation is to follow the lead of God. When grace dances, we dance, to. Wherever God goes, we should follow. If he dances in a homeless shelter, then we should dance along. If he dances on a trip out of town, then we need to put on our dancing shoes.
Spread grace -- share grace. Be grace, wherever you see God dancing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home