Friday, February 12, 2010

February Friday Five

The Friday Five from RevGalBlogPals:

With Valentine's Day around the corner, it seems appropriate to write about February holidays. However, I'd never heard of "Waitangi Day" before: Feb. 6 is a holiday in New Zealand to commemorate the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, the founding of New Zealand, in 1840. I'll avoid Fur Rondy, as it is connected with Sarah Palin's home state. BUT I have been corrected by Pastor Julia that this is a wonderful holiday and not related to SP at all.

  1. When February comes along, how do you feel about the coming month? Honestly, this year, I'm so sick of winter that I'm not feeling very charitable toward February. I'm more than ready for March.
  2. What memories do you have about Valentine's Day? Are you doing anything to observe it this year? In school, I remember all of those little Valentine's Day Cards. I'm kind of glad my kids are too old to do that for school -- we were always up late the night before the party trying to remember who was in their classes so that we didn't forget anyone. This year, Steve and I are going out to dinner, a day early.
  3. It is interesting that Monday's "Presidents Day" is not officially called that in every state. It is a U.S. federal holiday entitled "Washington's Birthday." Which is your favorite president and why? I'm not sure I have a favorite president. Jefferson seems kind of creative and smart.
  4. Will you be celebrating Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras? How? No real celebration plans, no.
  5. Any other ways to celebrate in February? I'll celebrate when it is over.
Bonus: A Lenten book or website you recommend. My church's Lenten devotional blog: http://www.jmlent.blogspot.com/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home