Thursday, July 09, 2009

Perspective and Joy

One of the lectionary readings this week is 2 Samuel 1-5; 12b-19. This reading contains the passage the describes David dancing as the Ark of the Covenant is brought to Jerusalem. David dances:

David and all the house of Israel were dancing before the LORD with all their might, with songs and lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals.
I love the description -- the total joy and celebration of it. I love how the passage says, "David danced before the Lord with all his might..." It's total abandon, it's communion with God. It must have given God pleasure.

And then there is Michal. She is Saul's daughter and David's wife. She watches him dancing, and she despises him. Pretty strong words. (I'll sneak in the comment that she might have felt differently if she had been dancing, too).

I've always thought that passage made Michal sound petty and like a wet blanket -- mean and hateful, as well. I read a blog post today about this passage.
David and Michal had such a complicated history. Imagine the torture of being married to someone you love, realizing your father hated him, realizing your father GAVE you to someone he hated, losing him, getting him back again sort of, and then watching him dance into town exposed to the world?
Read the entire post by Songbird here.
The post reminds me to remember that there is always more than one viewpoint in a situation. I may not always agree with someone else's perspective, but it is important to remember that it is valid, and it exists.

I still love the joy!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

While everyone has a perspective I believe some perspectives hold no validity. As an example Akmahdinajad Iran's president held a conference for people whose perspective was that the holocaust never happened. I think we want to be careful to not give credence to blatantly false ideas.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home