Friday, April 10, 2009

Forsaken

In both the gospel of Mark and of Matthew, one finds included in the description of Jesus' death a particular phrase said by Jesus from the cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me."

Have you sever felt forsaken by God? It's impossible for me to imagine the emotions doing battle inside of Jesus during his death. I realize this line is the beginning of a Psalm, but I think it is very human of Jesus to feel forsaken during this horrible time of pain.

There is a gentleman in Charleston who travels around to different offices selling ties from New York. He came by the office yesterday for the first time this year. Having not seen him since last summer, I was struck by how ill he looked. A friend or a member of his family was hospitalized, and he was very upset about it. Before he left, he asked JtM and me to pray for his friend, Judy.

He said that God doesn't listen to his prayers. I wish I had been able to reassure him that that was not the case. I believe that God does hear his prayers. I believe that God is forever standing with this gentleman, listening and loving.

I wonder if I was supposed to tell him that? I wonder if God sent him by our way on Thursday for reassurance that I failed to provide? I don't know; I'll never know.

But say a prayer for Judy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

Sometimes I believe God puts these situations in our paths for our benefit as well as the hurting persons.
Years ago in church a young man took the seat next to mine after a while I noticed he was crying. Now I'm not a very outgoing person until I get to know someone. Still I felt moved to inquire as to what was troubling this man. He told me that his son had just died, I said that I was so sorry and that was all.
Afterwards I felt totally inadequate like I should have said much more, but I didn't know what to say. Later on I found out he was our choir directors son-in-law. She was saying how much just my caring and showing concern for him meant to him.
Sometimes we don't know how God has used us until much later.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home