Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Peace

I was walking out to the car this evening on a route that I have taken often over the past few days. I noticed a sign on the wall which dedicated the room right next to it to the memory of a minister in town. The sign listed all of those who had donated funds to create the chapel -- including my own church.

So I went in. It is a very modern chapel, and it doesn't "belong" to any particular faith -- it is a very ecumenical room. I had a seat in on of the chairs, closed my eyes, and just absorbed.

God was in the room. I had tried to find him in the Sanctuary yesterday evening after a meeting, but the distractions were too many (It can be a very creepy sounding church when it sets its mind to it.). Tonight, though, there weren't distractions. There was just peace and quiet. Calmness.

God is an amazing God. He pulled me into a room that I had passed many times, and never noticed. I didn't even know that there was a chapel in that hallway. It's a beautiful room, but it's not "my kind" of chapel -- I love the dark, quiet feel of our sanctuary -- not the modern feel of this room. He knew what I needed; he knew that I wasn't doing a very good job of looking for it, so he put it in my path to trip over.

I don't know how long I sat there, but at least 15 minutes or so. When I left, the hallway was quiet. There was no one around. No sounds, no distractions. As I walked down the hallway, I was reminded that God and his peace walk with me.

Thanks be to God. Amen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home