Monday, August 11, 2008

Friday Five -- Hot Summer

The Friday Five from RevGalBlogPals. Yes, I know it's Monday, but I just read it tonight....

The five questions are called "The God Days of Summer."

1. What is your sweetest summer memory from childhood? Did it involve watermelon or hand cranked ice cream? Or perhaps a teen summer romance. Which stands out for you? I don't remember liking watermelon until I was an adult (although Mom says I used to just dig into it when it was in the fridge, eating handfuls.). We never hand-cranked ice cream, and I don't remember a teen romance. So those are out. I remember going to Jekyll Island, Georgia in 1972. It's a beautiful beach, with old oak trees and dripping moss. I remember Mike, a boy my age, and having a crush. I remember playing on the beach. Innocence.

2. Describe your all time favorite piece of summer clothing. The one thing you could put on in the summer that would seem to insure a cooler, more excellent day. I don't know. There is something about white shirts in the summer that is cool and refreshing. Skirts with no hose. Shoes with no socks (sandals, I mean).

3. What summer food fills your mouth with delight and whose flavor stays happily with you long after eaten? Chocolate covered strawberries. Ice cream eaten at Baskin Robbins, maybe outside. Beach food. The perfect hushpuppies at Coleman's in Calabash. Dinner on the deck at Damon's in Myrtle Beach.

4. Tell us about the summer vacation or holiday that holds your dearest memory. Honeymoon at Seabrook Island. Walking on the beach the year before we had our first son.

5. Have you had any experience(s) this summer that has drawn you closer to God or perhaps shown you His wonder in a new way? I've started working for the church (in a broad sense) doing work which I never would have thought I would be doing. There is joy and delight in doing it, in learning new things, and in doing something I feel called to do, that I never would have imagined doing.

Bonus question: When it is really hot, humid and uncomfortable, what do you do to refresh and renew body and spirit? I am renewed and refreshed in time spent with friends. Laughing, having fun, enjoying time with my husband and our dear friends is joy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home