Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Attitude!

Back in April, I posted observations about a meeting we had a church. The response to the discussion questions from some people in my group was very negative.

Later, a member of the group said to me that it was good for people to share their negative feelings. That while it might hurt at the outset, Pain was a good thing -- a growing reaction.

One of the things that bothered me about this incident was that in some ways I agree with him -- sometimes we need to tell the truth in order to facilitate change. While I do believe that, I still felt like the meeting was counterproductive to the meeting we were supposed to be having.

Steve is in a Wednesday morning prayer and study group that is reading "Everybody's Normal until you get to Know them." I've read the book before, and I went back and scanned the chapter that the group was scheduled to read. Take a look at this"
There is a very important theological distinction between being a prophet and being a jerk. What burns deeply in the heart of a true prophet is not just anger but love.

There is such a person who speaks "truth" recreationally, but does it without love.
That's what bothered me about that meeting. I felt attacked. I didn't feel as if the discussion was being put forth in love, or in a desire to change the church, but instead with anger, and with the desire to spout forth negativity without the aim of love or change. It wasn't done to create accountability, but instead to bring forth complaints.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home