Sunday, February 17, 2008

Constructing Prayer Beads

The cable was out last night, so I didn't get a post posted. To make up for that deficiency, I'm post-dating this post. (Smiling).

Anyway, I posted a prayer today to be used with prayer beads. You can order anglican prayer beads, and the link I used with that post -- Full Circle Beads -- does a wonderful job with them. I recommend them.

But, it is just a string of beads, and if you would like to make your own, here is how I made the set that is pictured in "tomorrow's" post.

Materials
(The sizes of the beads are just guesses because I don't actually remember, but I am measuring them for you, so it's close. Really, though, chose what you like.)

  • 5 -- 9mm beads for the cruciforms and the invitatory
  • 28 -- 6mm beads for the weeks
  • 1 cross with a loop at the top for the string
  • 138 -- 1mm beads
  • stretchable nylon cord -- I think it is 0.5mm; I know it is clear. (I find it in the jewelry section of the craft store.
  • Clear nail polish
  • Beading needle is very helpful (also from the jewelry section).
  • Also, the last time I made a couple of these, I used a beading tray, which was great.
Instructions

  1. Take a long length of cord. Double it. Pull the "bent" end (not the two ends) through the loop on the cross. Pull the double end through the protruding loop and draw tight. The cross is now attached to the doubled length of cord.
  2. Pass the two ends of the cord through the eye of the needle.
  3. Place 5 - 1mm beads on the doubled length of cord (both strands passing through the bead), then a 9mm bead, then 5 more 1mm beads, then a second 9mm bead.
  4. Remove one length of the double strand from the needle, leaving one strand through the eye. From now on you will be working with one strand at a time.
  5. String 4 - 1mm beads, then a 6mm bead. Repeat this 6 times (for a total of seven).
  6. String 4 -- 1mm beads, then a 9mm bead.
  7. Repeat step 5.
  8. String 4 -- 1mm beads. This is the end of one side.
  9. Drop the string for the first side in a way which will prevent the loss of any beads. Alternatively, leave the beads needle on that string, and place the second string on a second needle. Either way, you will need to have the second string attached to a beading needle.
  10. On the second string, place 4 - 1mm beads, then a 6mm bead. Repeat this 6 times (for a total of seven).
  11. String 4 -- 1mm beads, then a 9mm bead.
  12. Repeat step 10 and step 11.
  13. Tie the two strands together with several knots. Place a dot of clear nail polish on this knot to seal it.

Notes:

  • The size of the beads is up to you. The number of 1mm beads is up to you. I like 4 between each of the larger beads because this results in a set of beads that I can double around my wrist, and it fits like a bracelet. Three 1mm beads between each one is too small to do that, and 5 between each larger bead creates a strand that is too long for my taste. The 1mm beads are just spacers. They do not get counted in the prayers.
  • Pick out beads whose color and weight appeal to you. I had one set with hematite weeks -- I really liked it as a strand of prayer beads because it was heavy.
  • Prayers to use with the beads can be found in many places. There are several at Full Circle Beads.
  • You can see my beads at this link or in "tomorrow's" post.

Why use them? I like using the beads for one reason -- it slows me down. I go one time around the loop, and I am quiet. I am calmer. I can concentrate more. It is the way that I can "be still" and know that He is God.


    Labels:

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    Thanks bunches for these directions. I love the fact that this size is just right for the double looping for a bracelet. When I use my prayer beads, I always think how wonderful it would be if they could fit as a bracelet - especially since I don't always have a pocket available to carry them. Looks like I might have to make a trip to the craft store...but I'll have to promise Kenny I'll stay away from the yarn.

    Grace to do the will of the Father..

    9:34 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home