Friday, September 21, 2007

Conflict

Conflict. How do you decide when to speak up and when to just endure? How do you weigh the consequences?

The boys and I (not Steve -- he's at a training class in Ohio) went to dinner last night. Sitting next to us was a group of five young men. G said that they were seniors at his high school -- either football players or wrestlers.

All throughout dinner, these young men were speaking very loudly. Loud conversations are annoying in a restaurant, but that's not what made me angry. The content of their conversations did. Things like the shape and weight of particular women. The length of particular male appendages. Forced encounters. Items which should not be spoken at the top of their very large lungs in a restaurant.

In addition to my 14 year old and my 11 year old, there was a table also right next to them that had two even younger boys eating dinner with their family. This is definately a family restaurant.

I waited a while. I gave them my "mom" look. I think if you are a mom, or if you've had a mom, you know what that look is. It didn't work - I was invisible. Toward the end of dinner I had had enough, so I leaned over, and said, "Hey, guys. It's a family restaurant. You just can't do this. There are kids here." One guy apologized. Another one made a smart aleck comment.

I'm not a prude, and I've taken part in my own share of risque conversations. This was beyond that.

I have to tell you that this is an unusual action for me. Anger and disgust was what propelled me to action. Maybe it was an unnecessary one. I didn't take much time to consider any consequences. G goes to the same school as these seniors; I hope now that nothing comes of that.

Images: Sunrise at the high school. Flower at the VA.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Vinson said...

Thank you for standing up to them. I've had to do similarly (though I don't have a "mom" look LOL) - to the parents of a preschooler!!

Even then, it got my adrenaline pumping!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home