Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Unexpected Blessings

The Emmaus walk this past weekend was a men's walk. Obviously, having a husband and being the mother of two children, I am not a man. However, I found wonderful blessings working as a volunteer to support this walk.

I thought I would take a moment to describe a small part of it.

Steve gave one of the 15 talks during the walk. Of course, I knew that he was going to do it for several months, and all along I thought that I would only get to hear about it second hand. It didn't turn out that way, though.

Part of the tradition with the talks is that the speaker is "prayed in" in a small chapel close to the conference room by team members assigned to the task. I was privileged to be able to join Steve in the chapel with the prayer team, and our friends, JtM and MT. A blessing. How wonderful to be able to pray for your husband as he prepared to speak about Christian Action and to do so with friends.

By then I knew that I would be able to listen to his talk in the next room over a speaker, but the prayer chapel team members, who were very nice, offered to set a chair for MT and I in the hallway -- which is part of the conference room, so that we could see the talk. I was hesitant to do it; I didn't want to distract either Steve or the men in the conference room, but I slipped into the hall to see if I thought if he would be able to see me or not at the end of the hallway.

Once I did that, I had to stay. It was a joy to watch him, to see him deliver his talk. He did great, and I was -- and am -- so blessed to have been able to watch him do it. Great job, Steve.

After the talk, he was "prayed out" in a time of thanksgiving. Gratitude was abundant.

We then walked to the main church building to talk while he changed back into his casual clothes. Right in the middle of a walk, 15 minutes of alone time. One more unspeakable gift to round out the afternoon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home