Thursday, April 12, 2007

Breaking the Bread

Steve's brother is going on an Emmaus walk this weekend, and Steve is his sponsor. Steve is also serving on the walk as a table leader. Part of the send off on Thursdays is a sponsor's hour in the chapel. Since Steve is on the team, he was with the pilgrims in the conference room, so I got to be the "substitute sponsor" during sponsor hour.

That service includes communion. The communion devotion was based on the idea that communion has four parts:

  • Taking the bread
  • Breaking the bread
  • Blessing the bread
  • Giving the bread

The minister serving communion compared this to what happens to up -- we are taken by God, broken, blessed and then given by Him in service to other people.

I have to admit that that idea bothers me. Is it wrong of me to be bothered by the idea that God "breaks" us? I know that I've heard it before, but I don't like it.

Matthew 7:9-11: "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
I think about my children, teaching them and raising them. I have no desire to "break" them. If I know how to be a parent, then I'm certain that God does. He will transform me, recreate me, change my heart, change my mind, melt me, mold me, and love me, but breaking connotes destruction. I think that it is the wrong word for how God takes his children and moves them toward perfection and wholeness.

Image: Broken bread from prayer vigil

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, Break may be the wrong word but it made me think of breaking horses to the saddle. Maybe we need broken from our sinful nature.Meaning that we need trained not to sin.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, some of us, need to be broken. How can a head strong person, like myself, ever come to realize how empty she really is if she is never broken?

Thankfully once you are broken God is gracious enough to make you into a new vessel. A better one, less shiney, less decorative, but one He can use.

As long as I don't start to paint it on my own.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home