Sunday, April 15, 2007

In the arms of God

Something amazing happened this evening.

I was in Ashland, serving as help for the Emmaus walk that Steve is participating in. It was about 6pm or so. Dinner had been served, so I didn't have much to do. I was hot (if you know me, that's no surprise), I was tired, so I slipped out of the room.

I don't know why I went where I did. I climbed the stairs to the third floor of the church, and went to the very tiny Franklin Prayer chapel. I've prayed in that room three times -- twice on Emmaus walks and once before a Gathering. Each time in the quiet, tiny room, I have encountered God.

This evening I went in, and just sat on the pew. I didn't pray -- at least not in the conventional way. I prayed no words, but sat there, listened to myself breathe, felt my heart beating. I cooled down. I calmed down. I rested. I became convinced that God had drawn me to this room.

At the end of around 20 minutes, I did pray, for just short time, in thanksgiving.

As I got up to leave, I stopped at a little table by the door. It's a prayer table, and it interested me because I would like to have something similar at our church. On this table were a few candles, some papers, and four pink sticky notes, on which people had written prayers or prayer requests. I read them.

The last note said, "I have rested in the arms of God."

Amen.

Image: Green, spring leaves at the VA.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home