Friday, March 30, 2007

Unaware that I still breathe

We are all alive. We are breathing. Our hearts are beating. We walk, we talk, we go about life. We are alive.

Notice that even the word doesn’t look very exciting, and my description of it is lackluster. Boring.

Lent is a busy time of year in church. I feel like I am running in high gear. Adrenalin. Non-stop. It isn’t so much that there is so much to do, it’s that I FEEL like there is so much to do.

We are therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead though the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. (Romans 6:4)

We are made new in Christ. In Christ, we are ALIVE.

On the way into work this morning, I picked up my iPod, and stuck in the earphones, so I was walking and listening. I don’t normally do that. The song that was playing was Unaware by Mercy Me.

I looked around, and felt pulled to stop. Compelled to stop. The day was beautiful. The sky was huge, the light from the sun was perfect, turning everything into mirrors, reflecting brightness. Even the grass was shining. There was a hint of fog in the far off mountains.

I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out (Luke 19:40)

I know what that means, now. Creation was shouting its praise to God, and He stopped me, and told me to watch and listen.
My hands are shaking now
But I catch my breath somehow
I am free at last

Unaware of my fears
Unaware of my shame
Nothing else matters to you
But glorifying your name.

Unaware of everything
Knowing you’re aware of me.

Tell me how I got here
I couldn’t make it on my own
Just tell me I can stay
Cause it feels so much like home.

And I loose all track of time
When I look into your eyes
Love is all I know.

Unaware of my fears
Unaware of my shame
Nothing else matters to you
But glorifying your name.

Unaware of everything
Knowing you’re aware of me.

I’m aware I’m in a place I couldn’t be
If you weren’t there to call my name and rescue me.

I’m unaware that I still breathe
Unaware of everything
Knowing you’re aware of me.

I know what the song means. I lost track of time, I wasn’t even aware that I was breathing. I didn’t feel the weight of the 17 pound bag on my shoulder, and more importantly, I didn’t feel the weight of what I thought HAD to be done, right that minute. I was only aware that God was aware of me.

The song ended, I came into work, and now I’m breathing! Now I’m ALIVE. And the funny thing is, everything that needed to get done, is done.

Love is all I know.

Images: All three of these images were taken this morning, as creation shouted His praise. Click on them to see them better -- the sunshine in the first one, how bright the grass is in the second one, and how huge the sky is in the third one.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home