Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Table is Set

Tonight is the last session of our class The Jesus I Never Knew. At the end of the class tonight, we will have met for fourteen times.

In order to celebrate the community which has been formed among us, the work of God in our midst and any spiritual growth that has been achieved, Jeff the Methodist (who is my team-teacher) and I have planned communion.

Do this in remembrance of me.

The purpose of the class has been to take a long, hard look at Jesus. What have been our misconceptions about him? What can we learn about him? How can that bring us closer to him?

One of the members of our class is a retired minister, and it is an entirely wonderful thing that he has agreed to serve the sacrament. What a blessing.

Do this in remembrance of me.

I've never done this before. I've never "set the table." As the class has been, the communion will be a sharing of the talents that God has given to JtM and me. I've baked bread (and I know I've mentioned before how God has taken simple baking and turned it into a gift). Jeff is bringing the grape juice. He arranged for Fred to serve, and has prepared the liturgy for the class. I've arranged the table. Team teaching has been full of the grace of combined gifts, and it is fitting that the communion is, as well.

Do this in remembrance of me.

When I took the photo of the table, I used the timer on my camera, so that my pushing the "button" wouldn't jar the camera; the shutter would be open a long time since the lights were out. The timer on my camera has a little red light that blinks once per second prior to the shutter opening. The red light reflected on the cross.

Do this in remembrance of me.

Next week we start a new class to examine another of Yancey's books, What's So Amazing About Grace. How wonderful it is to receive a preview tonight.

Images: The table, set. The plate, awaiting bread, and the chalice. Candles lit.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home