Thursday, March 29, 2007

Called to dirt

As part of what we are doing as an Emmaus group this season, we are preparing crosses. Two nails, wired together in the shape of a cross. (To see one, click here). I was making some tonight, while I was at Common Grounds -- I'm trying to get the 55 we need for a walk. They are made of masonry nails. Have you ever held a masonry nail? It's dirty. When you make these crosses, your hands turn black. One of the gentlemen in our church (Jim) came up to me and told me that I looked like I worked in a coal mine.

Sometimes ministry gets you dirty.

  • Changing diapers in the nursery isn't always the cleanest job, but it is necessary.
  • When we baked bread for the Bread of Life dinner -- well -- let's just say I am not the neatest baker.
  • Some women glow. I don't. I sweat, and I often get hot when I work at church. Ick.

Sometimes ministry gets you dirty, but sometimes we are called to ignore the dirt.

  • When our mission team went to Mississippi last year, I'm sure they didn't stay clean all the time.
  • There is a couple (actually, more than the one couple) in our church who works in the kitchen every Thursday. I'm sure that they don't find it to be a clean job, but they are fulfilled by it. It is their worship.
  • Their is a pair of brothers who are part of our church who clean the parking lot and grounds each Saturday morning. It's not a clean job, but it is one of their ministries.

The problem with trying to stay clean in church is that we are not clean. We come to church covered in dirt, even though we appear to be spotless. Jesus, through his sacrifice, cleanses us, and then tells us to "Go forth and make disciples." He doesn't expect us to stay clean on the outside, and he takes care of the inside.

We are called to get dirty, so that others can be made clean. And whole.

Images: I took a bunch of photos of forsythia today. Expect to see more as the days go by. The second one reminds me that winter (pine) is turning into spring (forsythia).

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, Nothing that goes in us or on us can make us unclean, only that which comes out of us, greed,anger,spite,etc.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home