Thursday, February 08, 2007

Deep Waters

A couple of days ago I wrote a post about Luke 5:1-11. I mentioned that I had found last week depth in this passage that I had never seen before, and that we might be returning to it.

I think I want to return to it today.

Take a look at these two verses (4-5):

When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” Simon answered, “Master we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets.”
I heard a talk once, given by a teacher. She was a Christian, teaching in public schools, and was faced with many, many opportunities for ministry, but didn’t know how to approach any of them, or which ones she should approach. So she prayed that God would show her “where to cast her net.”

He did, and she obeyed. It was the student she least wanted to approach about faith in God – he was a true troublemaker. But she trusted God and obeyed, casting her net into this deep, deep water.

Eventually, she found that she had been successful, and that God had done his transforming work in this teenager.

Do we face situations like that in our walk with God? God will tell us, “Cast your net here,” but we complain. We present excuses.

  • God, I’ve tried that before. It won’t work. Maybe you just don’t understand, but I know what I’m talking about.
  • God, this water is deep. It is way over my head. Maybe you should find someone who knows how to swim.
  • God, I think that there is a better way than this. Surely you see that your plan is flawed? I know a better way.
What did Peter do? Bless his heart, I love Peter. He so often says what I would have wanted to say in the same situation. “Hey, Jesus, been there, done that. Are you sure?” When he realized that Jesus was serious in his request, Peter did an amazing thing. Without any more arguments, without any more complaining, he trusted Jesus. He wouldn’t always trust, but this time he did. He trusted, listened, and obeyed. He took the boat into deep water, where he was unfamiliar, and probably frightened. He cast his nets – the tools of his trade; the method by which his family ate or starved – into the deep water.

His reward was an abundant catch.

Will we find the same thing? Will we trust and obey, listening to God the whole time? I pray that we do.

Images: The General Lewis Inn in Lewisburg, WV, and their house cat, Butterscotch.

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home