Sunday, May 07, 2006

Proverbs

I have several posts in mind that I want to write, but none of them seem to be connecting for this evening. I'm not sure all my brain cells are firing synchronously. It all seems a little haphazard.

So...I'm stealing information tonight to write this post. Sunday school was especially good this morning (although it is usually especially good). Jean taught about Proverbs, which I think would be very difficult for a teacher to use as lesson material. Our curriculum has four lessons about Proverbs, and we are only looking at the book for this one particular week, so Jean had a lot of info to cram into one Sunday (I'm thinking she almost ran out of time.).

Anyway, I particularly liked some of the verses she highlighted today to demonstrate eight styles of proverbs. A few of my favorites:

15:17 -- Better a bread crust shared in love than a slab of prime rib served in hate. (The Mesage)

17:1 -- Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife. (NIV)

25:24 (Scott read this one, and I really only like it because it tickled everyone, and I enjoy the group having fun): Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife. (Can we use inclusive language and say, "quarrelsome spouse?" -- I think living with anyone quarrelsome could drive me to the attic.) (NIV)

14:7 -- Escape quickly from the company of fools; they're a waste of your time, a waste of your words. (The Message)

8:32-34 -- So, my dear friends, listen carefully; those who embrace these my ways are most blessed. Mark a life of discipline and live wisely; don't squander your precious life. Blessed the man, blessed the woman, who listens to me, awake and ready for me each morning, alert and responsive as I start my day's work. (The Message)

25:14 -- Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of gifts he does not give. (NIV) But I also like The Message version, which is, Like billowing clouds that bring no rain is the person who talks big but never produces.

Also, I felt comforted by the final chapter of Proverbs, in which is found proof that the capable wife is one who hoards and stashes luxury yarn: She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoys knitting and sewing. (The Message of 31:13) or in the NIV version, She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. I'm going to the yarn store tomorrow.

At the end of the lesson, Mike commented that he was glad Jean had taught it, and not him (meaning he wouldn't have wanted to attempt it. Amen, and great job, Jean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home