Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Open Doors

portal --pĂ´rtl, noun -- An entrance or a means of entrance

I've been thinking today about doors. As Methodists, we claim to have open doors (hearts and minds, too). God creates and opens so many doors for us (and windows, gates, bridges, tunnels...) At first, this post was going to be about how we close the doors to the church, barring the way (or trying to). As I thought about it, that post just didn't gel. I know we do close doors to God's people, but what struck me today was how we OPEN doors for people.

As I look around my church (figuratively), I see so many ways that doors have been opened by the "church" so that His children can reach Him.

  • I was working on a report for our Ministry Leadership Council meeting a couple of months ago, and I actually counted the number of volunteers who had said "yes" when asked to give of their talents in the Nurture work area. The number was over 100 -- in less than 6 months. These volunteers open doors for the babies, the children, the youth, adults -- well, for everybody. When these volunteers write devotions for our committee, they are opening doors for people they will never meet. The doors are just flying open!
  • Our pastors are always opening doors. Joe's mantra seems to be that the members of the church need to share their gifts -- this has opened windows and doors all over the place, blowing fresh air into the building. Carol and her praise team on Thursday nights have reached people that I knew God could reach, but I didn't think our church could.
  • What about Scott and Dan, who hold the actual doors open on Sunday mornings? What a great ministry they have.
  • Then there's the music "people" who invite people to come in to meet God every Sunday.

The list could go on and on. The problem with lists is that they always miss people. I know we close doors, but how often do we remember how many times doors are opened in our church? It is a cause for gratitude.

That got me thinking about the doors that people have opened for me on my journey, especially in this past year. It has been an interesting year.

  • Late last year I resigned as chairman of the programming committee of which I am a part -- mainly out of worry. Several weeks later, when I emailed Joe, and told him that I wasn't finding any peace with my closed door, he told me that it was still open. I kept the position. I still worry all the time, and someday I'll write a post about fear, but it has been fantastic year so far (although VBS is now looming).
  • On Labor Day last year I made two decisions. Our lay leader, Jeff, had asked me to deliver the Laity sermon, and on that day I decided to say yes. I was not new to working on projects as church, but the preparation of that "talk" was the first time I have ever felt that I was working on a project "hand in hand" with God. Whatever the result -- good or not so good -- the journey took me to a place that I had never been before. I like it here.
  • On Labor Day that year I also decided to be a part of the fall Emmaus walk in our area. For several weeks before that, any time Linda saw me, she asked me if I had made a decision yet. She offered to answer questions, get me a book....I found out later that she was worried that she was bugging me, but what she was really doing was opening a door for me. She made me feel welcome. I suppose it wouldn't work for everyone, but it was what I needed.
  • My Sunday school class continues to open doors for me. They are my connection to our church. We rotate teachers, and I learn something new every Sunday. I have a need to teach Sunday school, and they graciously listen to my ramblings. I am closer to God because of all of them.
  • My mother is a door-opener. For example, I was talking to her today about this weekend, telling her that Steve and I were going to help in the kitchen with this weekend's Emmaus walk. She is going to watch the boys because, "That's what Grandmas do." That's not what every grandma does; I am blessed.
  • My husband is continually opening doors for me. When I come home and say, "Wouldn't it be neat if ..," he says, "Wow! Let me help you carry that." Whatever it is I'm doing, he's helping me to carry it. He is my ultimate door-opener.

Maybe that's one of the reasons that God gave us "church." We are called to be door-openers for each other, pointing the way through our "open doors" to God. Make a list of your own door-openers; it will plant seeds of gratitude.

Images: First, the door from yesterday's post, with some color adustment. Next, the VA library door, propped open -- I love that it has a sign on it warning people not to prop it open (I've enlarged it so that you can read it). Third, an open door at our church this past weekend.

Extra: The ultimate in Outsourcing (click here) -- Thanks to Locusts and Honey for the link.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post.
I know doors will continue to open for you, and you'll step right through, and stand by the door and encourage others to come on in.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home