Monday, December 05, 2005

A Sleepless Shepherd

Luke 2:8-20

It was twilight.
The sun had disappeared;
One star was shining brightly.
Time seemed to stop.
In this margin that was neither night nor day
The shepherd lay on the ground
Trying to sleep
But was instead lost in his thoughts.

He was on a quest
To find a manger
A baby wrapped in cloths
A king in a stable.
As incredible as it sounded
He believed the news
But not in himself.

He was just a shepherd
Caring for his sheep.

Angels had come to visit him.
And had told him the incredible. The fantastic.
And he had said yes.
Who was he to seek the Lord?
Who was he to look for God at all?

In the timeless twilight
He huddled under a thin blanket.
Unclean. Unworthy.
Loved by no one.
He smelled like sheep,
And felt like dirt.
His only light a bright star.
He heard a voice
And felt a presence
He knew it to be God.

What is it, my son?
Why can’t you sleep?

I am nothing.

You are wrong.
You are mine.
I made you from dust.
Into a creation of God.
I have made you worthy
By my breath
By my love.
By my touch.

How can I face God?

Set aside your doubt, my child.
You believe in me.
Now believe what I tell you.
I loved you before you existed.
I knew you before you knew yourself.
You can face God
Because I have made it possible.
And because I am calling you.

Why must I go?

You will seek my son
Because he is expecting you.
He will be waiting for you.
He has been sent to find you.
I will keep loving you forever.
I have given my son to the world
To find you.
I will never give up searching for you.
You mean that much to me.

Doubt will drift away.
Light has come into the world
To find all that are lost.
To make clean all that feel unworthy.
A son will be a shepherd
And no sheep shall be lost.
He will bring time to an end
As eternity begins.
We will know the love of God.

Next

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home