Monday, August 24, 2026

Complexity and Growth

Take a look at these quotes from Jon Meachem's book, The Hope of Glory:
  • Reason's last step is the recognition that there are an infinite number of things which are beyond it (Blaise Pascal).
  • There are more things in heaven and earth ... than are dreamt of in your philosophy (Shakespeare in Hamlet).
  • For now, we can only "see through a glass, darkly" (Paul from 1 Corinthians)
Meachem provides these quotes, and then says, "For the thoughtful believer, then, there is nothing more certain that the reality of uncertainty, nothing more natural that doubt, which  perhaps thirty seconds younger than faith itself."

I was teaching a Sunday school class once, and I asked them about doubt. I was hoping to have a good discussion on the role of doubt in faith. One of the students said that doubt was from the devil. That kind of stopped the conversation.

Sometimes, I think, we come to faith with a closed mind, grown through countless people telling us how to believe, that "the Bible says it, and that's the way it is." I think the problem with that kind of faith is multifaceted. 
  • We talking about faith in God - a God we cannot hope to understand. We can certainly know something, but we cannot know all. To pretend that we do is folly.
  • We believe God created us, and that grand, divine design includes a brain. We are meant to apply reason to faith, and in fact, doubt and exploration, questioning, can lead to a strong, more robust, and dare I say more complete, faith. Blind faith does not do that and can prevent our growth through sanctifying grace.
  • Meachem says, "Light can neither emanate from, nor enter into , a closed mind. Literalism not only stops our growth but it also prevents us from sharing light with others.
I especially like this quote, "Without reason, we cannot appreciate complexity; without appreciating complexity, we cannot rightly appreciate the majesty and mystery of God; and without rightly appreciating the majesty and mystery of God, we foreclose the possibility of the miraculous and the redemptive."

 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home