Monday, August 10, 2026

Unlikely Relationships

This past spring, I read the book An Unlikely Lent (Rachel Billups).  One of the chapters was about Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus. The name of the chapter was "Unlikely Allies."

Billups starts the chapter by telling the story of Daryl Davis, a black man. He is a "R&B and blues musician and activist."  At the age of 10, he encountered racism for the first time (but not for the last time). An encounter with a member of the KKK when he was an adult, performing, started him on a path to create unlikely relationships.

He would befriend members of the KKK and have conversations with them. According to Billups, nearly 200 members of the Klan committed to Davis to give up their racism because of his work in creating relationships with them.  (Here is a TED talk that he gave called Klan we Talk?)

I think about those people around me who have vastly different political beliefs systems than me. Those who "spout off" about how stupid everyone else is.  Could I form a relationship with a person who believes that women should not be ordained? That LGBTQ+ people should be excluded from the church? With the person who is a white supremist? Or a person who seems to vocally hate what I would say is truth?  Where are your unlikely relationships? Could you work to create bridges?

Can love transform enemies into friends?

 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home