Thursday, January 21, 2021

Fear and Power

 

I'm reading (by ear, via audiobook as I drive) the Harry Potter books.  This is part of what I read this morning:

“Voldemort himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!”  ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

For those who haven't read the book, Voldemort is a dark wizard, who does cruel and evil acts, and who craves power.  Harry is his enemy, and Harry's greatest power is that he is able to love others.

Think for a moment about tyrants.  A quick google search reveals that the defining characteristic of tyrants is that they are cruel and oppressive leaders.  How does it change the dynamic to consider that they act out of fear?  If you think about tyrants you have seen or may know - it might be the bully down the street, the dictator in another country, the boss whose actions do nothing to support those he supervises, or (dare I say) the president in the Oval Office (or wherever he is right now) - how does it change your perception of them to see their motivation for their evil acts as fear.

Fear of what? Fear of losing power.  Fear of consequences. Fear of humiliation. Fear of being exposed as being not what they claim to be.  Fear.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff— they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4)

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

you whom I took from the ends of the earth,
    and called from its farthest corners,
saying to you, “You are my servant,
    I have chosen you and not cast you off”;
10 do not fear, for I am with you,
    do not be afraid, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. (Isaiah 41:9-10)

I only list three of the many exhortations in the Bible to not be afraid.  God is with us.  Our greatest power is our ability to love. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home