Monday, March 09, 2020

Tricky


I've been thinking about the post from last week called Stop.  Just stop.  The premise of the poem was that our ability to stop seeing  people with whom we disagree as people - but instead as objects to ridicule is a barrier other people (and to ourselves if we are honest) in seeing God.

I read yesterday that meanness (or a similar word) is never a fruit of the spirit.

But, although I believe all of that to be true, what I didn't mean to assert was that we shouldn't struggle with what we disagree about.  I think we should engage our brothers and sisters - we should stand up for what we believe is right.

It's just that I think we should stand up with open minds and loving hearts, knowing that the person with whom we disagree is a child of God.

I believe that God wants the church to be inclusive.  Of all.  Of everyone.  And I think efforts to bring that about should be pursued.

The problem is that everyone means everyone - all of the children of God - even those with whom I vehemently disagree.

I believe we should love everyone - all of the children of God - even those with whom I vehemently disagree.

Faith is a tricky thing, don't you think?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home