Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Luke 1:10-20 - Place


I taught a Sunday school lesson during the first week of Advent that I based on the first chapter of the book, "Light of the World: the Meaning of Memory" by Amy-Jill Levine.  I'm going to use parts of that lesson for my next three blog posts.  This is based on Luke 1:10-20. 

Think about the place where this story about Zechariah happened.  This announcement took place in the temple.  Why do you think it happened in the  Temple?  Could it be that this where Zechariah would have been listening more closely?

William Barclay when looking at this question, he quoted a part of the play Saint Joan by George  Bernard Shaw.  (about Joan of Arc).  Joan hears voices, and it annoys the heir to the French  throne, who says, “Oh, your voices, your voices…Why don’t the voices come to me I am king.   Not you.”  Joan replies, “They do come to you, but you do not hear them.  You have not sat in  the field in the evening listening for them.  When the angelus rings you cross yourself and have  done with it; but if you prayed from your heart, and listened to the thrilling of the bells in the air  after they stop ringing, you would hear the voices as well as I do,

Where do you give yourself the chance to hear the voices?

How does setting enhance or detract from receiving God’s word?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home