Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Sacred Place

I may have mentioned before that each week at our office meeting, one of the staff members begins the meeting with a devotional.  This week was my turn. Sometimes, when I'm searching for a devotional topic, I turn to the book by Frederick Buechner called Beyond Words: Daily Readings in the ABC's of Faith

The book was a gift to me on October 16, 2005. I had been asked by the Lay Leader of the church we attend to give the sermon on Laity Sunday. During the writing of the sermon (which took me months), I asked him if he remembered the source of a quote I had heard - he did; the author of the quote was Buechner.
The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet.
The book was an appreciation gift for the sermon, and before he gave it to me, he had placed a bookmark on the page. The bookmark is still there.


The actual passage is longer than the quote I have above, and I read the few paragraphs at the office meeting, and talked about calling.  I am grateful that I have been called to this place, and that I have found joy in the work that I do. It is a sacred place.

I pray you find (or have found) that place. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home