Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Child-Like Faith: Each Day a Gift from God

Sunday School Chalkboard
Then little children were being brought to him in order that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples spoke sternly to those who brought them; but Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.” And he laid his hands on them and went on his way.

Our Sunday school lesson a couple of weeks ago was based on the passage in the Gospel when Jesus tells the disciples to not prevent children from coming to him. We talked about having a child-like faith. As part of the discussion, the teacher listed 12 characteristics of a child-like faith. I took of picture of the chalk board, and thought it might be interesting (at least for me) to look at each of these as a blog post. So, over the next few weeks, if all goes as I plan, all twelve will make an appearance here.

The first one was "Greet each day as a gift from God."

I think many of us would say that each day is a gift from God, but do we approach it as if it is? My British History teacher in high school (yes, I had British History, and it was wonderful) was a very upbeat person. He greeted each person who came into the room - he was almost always happy. One day we were talking about it, and he asked me if I knew why he was so upbeat. He had had cancer, and he had survived, so every day was a gift.

What difference would it make in our days if we didn't take the time for granted, but instead greeted each day with excitement and anticipation for what God would bring into our day that day? It sounds kind of "Pollyanna," but it is a child-like attitude. And I think living each day that way would change the way we approach life.

I love the work I do; I love the life I lead. I wake up each morning (after I get out of bed, which might take a little time) looking forward to the day, most days. I can't imagine greeting each day with dread. Is that because of my life, or is it my approach to it? I don't know - maybe a little of both. We can't change our lives with a positive attitude, but a positive attitude can change how we live them? Is that true? I think it might be.


Each day is a gift from God.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home