Monday, June 13, 2016

Creativity

Creativity is just connecting things.  (Steve Jobs)

I read that today. What do you think about it?

I've heard so many people say, "I am not creative." I wonder if re-imagining what creativity IS would help people to believe that they can be creative.

Suppose your church is holding a vacation Bible school. And it sees a need to reach out to the community. Could there be a way to connect the two? That would be creative.

I preached a couple of Sundays ago at a retirement community. Whenever I do that, I struggle to find a way to connect the message of the lectionary reading to those who will be listening. It's a struggle that finds its solution in creativity.


Creativity doesn't always mean writing a story or drawing a picture (as we are trained to believe in school). Creativity is so much more. You are created in the image of God, the most creative entity ever. You were born to create. What will you create today?  

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger birdwatcher said...

I struggle with the label "creative" - when I take a pattern for the leg of a sock, and move it around (make it twice, or put one design on the top of the foot) I don't think of it as creating - more like adapting someone else's creation for the individual who will receive the sock. Maybe in Creation, God took a basic pattern and adapted it to different needs/locations?

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home