Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Power

Last week, Rev. Barry Moll delivered the meditation at the Advent luncheon I attended.  It was based on Mary's song, the Magnificat.  This is the second half of the song:

51 He has shown strength with his arm;
   he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
52 He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
   and lifted up the lowly;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
   and sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
   in remembrance of his mercy,
55 according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
   to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.’   (Luke 1:51-55)

Barry says that the Magnificat turns power inside out by the love of God.  What does that mean?

He said that if you have power, as a Christian, you are supposed to give it away.  We are to use the power we have to fight for justice, for love and to speak for those who do not have a voice (giving them power).

Have you ever done that?  Have I?

I wonder if the questions we need to ask ourselves are rather simple?  What power do I have?  How can I give that power away?

Barry says that our problem is not that we don't think this kind of life would work, but that if we live that way, we think we will become powerless ourselves.  Are we afraid of living the way God intends?

Thoughts I need to consider.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger birdwatcher said...

Your thoughts remind me of the many ways we use our "power". As a parent, I tried to instill knowledge to my children to eventually become independent adults. As a leader, I spent my life sharing my knowledge so that they could function without me. The wonderful thing about sharing power as you describe it is that we become enveloped in a world so much larger than if we kept that power/knowledge to ourselves. It's like that saying, love isn't love until you give it away.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home