Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hide and Seek

Do  you pay attention to the Children's Moment in worship?  It's always more interesting when the children have a conversation with the person who is leading worship.  Sometimes, it's fun to watch the worship leader struggle to keep on topic while the kids tell him their stories.  Other times, what the kids say is incredibly theologically wonderful, and in it is the gem of the lesson.
 
I was listening to the Children's moment in worship the other day. The lesson was about Psalm 139.
Where can I go from your spirit?
   Or where can I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
   if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning
   and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
   and your right hand shall hold me fast.
If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me,
   and the light around me become night’,
even the darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day,
   for darkness is as light to you.
(vs 7-12)
Can we play hide and seek with God?  One little girl said that if we try, we will find that God always knows where we are.  In fact, she said, God is there before us.

That's a great definition of prevenient grace from a 9 year old.   We should all remember her wisdom.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim,
My first thought when I say the notes on your post was about one of the first sermons that I ever gave (http://heartontheleft.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/hide-and-seek/). But then as I read it and you were talking about children's sermons, I remembered another instance (which I described at http://heartontheleft.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/what-do-you-do/).

In this last case, the children leave for their own church service after the children's moment/sermon during the service.

As I described in my own message, one little girl looked at the senior pastor and asked, "What do you do?" Because the youth minister did the children's moment and the assistant pastor lead the worship up to that point and none of the children stayed after that, they had never seen the senior pastor do anything except sit in his chair by the pulpit. So naturally, one day, this little girl's curiosity got the better of her and she asked him what it was that he did in the church.

It should be noted that though this senior pastor really didn't like doing the children's moment, he did do it the next week.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home