Thursday, February 20, 2014

Why Pray?

Yesterday, I talked about prayer, and how the environment in which we live and work can impact our prayer life.

Last weekend, an older member of our congregation was missing.  To make a long story short, she was found, on a snow-covered mountain in North Carolina.  She had driven there, by mistake.  All weekend, the entire congregation was praying for her - that she would be safe, that someone kind would help her, that the police would catch up with her, that she would call home - anything to bring her safely back where she belonged.

Three men were on this snow-covered mountain, and they found her in her car, sleeping.  They called the police, and an ambulance came to take her to the hospital for observation.  She was fine.  It is the best outcome.

In bible study that evening, one of the members asked, "Why did we have the prayer vigil?  Other than the impact it had on those gathered, what difference did it make?"  Before you jump to an answer, consider the question.  I certainly don't think that God was waiting for us to compile enough prayers to motivate him to action.  I believe if no one had prayed, then the woman who was missing would still have been in God's care.  So why pray?

I think we pray because God says to pray.  I don't have to have all of the answers - and I certainly don't, but pray because we have the blessed privilege of being in communication with the creator of the universe, and God wants us to communicate.  I used to think about questions such as the one that the class member asked, but I don't anymore.

I think we pray because it can change us.  I think we pray because God can work through us to change the world.  I think we pray because it opens up the relationship we can have with God.  I think we pray because God says it is the best thing we can do.  Pray.  Pray about whatever is on your mind.  Don't filter your prayers, don't communicate only what you think God wants to hear.   Pray, and expect change.

Pray because someone, in a way I don't understand, prayers can help the lost.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home