Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Practical Atheism

Fools say in their hearts, "There is no God."  They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is no one who does good. (Psalm 14:1)

The devotional I read this morning, written by J. Stephen Lang, says that this Psalm is about "practical atheists."  Theoretical atheists are those who believe there is no God; practical atheists are those who act as if there is no God.

I thought that was an interesting distinction.  I imagine anyone reading this (including myself) would never be classified as a theoretical atheist, but how often am I a practical atheist?  How often do my actions fail to reflect my faith in God?
  • When I fail to respond with love to my neighbor?
  • When I try to accomplish the work I do completely on my own, without asking or following the guidance sent from God?
  • When I don't worship?
  • When I don't pray?
  • Perhaps even worse, when I pray and then do not alter my actions to reflect the conversation with God?
  • When I fail to repent?
  • When I am not grateful for the gifts God has given to me?
  • When I ignore the joy God brings to life?
  • When I forget the love of God for me?  For others?
  • When I don't see God in the person in front of me?
  • When I don't use the gifts I have been given to further God's kingdom?
We would never want to deny God, and yet, how often do I deny God through my actions?  How often am I a practical atheist?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home