Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Standing up against injustice

JtM's sermon today was based on the story of Naboth the Jezreelite, who has a vineyard that King Ahab wanted.  It is a story of power and control.  Naboth refuses to sell it to Ahab.  The King, pouting, refuses to eat.  His wife, Jezebel tells him that she will get the vineyard for him.  She arranges for the death of Naboth.

It is murder by distance.  It is injustice from far away.  It is, nevertheless, even if "hands-off," murder and injustice.

Elijah stands up and declares the injustice of it all.

How often do we sin from a distance?  How often to we ignore the injustice of what we are doing because we can't see the person who is being hurt by it?  It's pretty easy to turn a blind eye and ignore what is not right in front of us -- sometimes even what is right in front of us.

There are times I an overwhelmed by the thought of it.  There are some issues that seem so large that I have no idea how to correct them.  There are other issues that I could change, but I choose to ignore.

When in my life am I Ahab?  Jezebel?  Naboth?  Elijah?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home