Friday, December 28, 2012

In Praise

The devotional I read this morning in Disciplines was centered around Psalm 148.  Have you read it lately?  It's a beautiful Psalm (read it here).

The author of the devotional says that each element of the Psalm is praising God by being whatever God had created it to be.  For instance, the stars are praising God by doing what stars do, the fruit trees by being fruit trees and the wild animals by being wild animals.

Have you thought of that before?  I'm not sure I ever have.  Have you considered that we praise God by being what God created us to be?  That we praise God by using creativity, if that is our gift from God; by teaching, if that is our gift; by singing, if that is our gift.  If we are kind or understanding or helpful, then using those characteristics (gifts from God) is a way to praise God.

Don't get me wrong -- if I am whining and grouching, I'm pretty sure those aren't gifts from God, and living those characteristics doesn't praise God.  But if I live into my potential, being the best me I can be, then I am praising God.

Go out today and use your gifts in praise of God. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home