Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Word Nobody Wants to Talk ABout, Part 1


The following is the first part of the sermon I delivered today for Laity Sunday.

A couple of years ago, I was a student in a Disciple Bible class. It was a great experience; I learned much about the bible and about discipleship. I would highly recommend it to anyone. One of the many things I learned in the class was a series of Bible study techniques. I still use them – and I like to teach them when I have the chance. They are little gems that are simple to use and can give me an entry into scriptural understanding. I thought we might start with one this morning.

Think about the passage of scripture that Martha / Chyrl read for us/ As we explore it, think about which character in the passage you relate to the most – if you were in the story, which person would you be?

Consider the rich man – that’s what the Gospel of Mark calls him -- other gospels tell us he is young and a “ruler.” So, picture a young, privileged man, used to getting his own way. He runs to Jesus, and kneels before him. Can you imagine that? A young, rich ruler, and he runs to Jesus, and kneels. He must in some way recognize something in Jesus that brings him to this humbling point, kneeling at the feet of a penniless rabbi. “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

It’s kind of an odd question when you think about it, isn’t it? What can I DO to inherit eternal life? An inheritance is a gift – it’s not something you earn because of what you have done; it’s something you are given. There’s a clue in that for us.

Jesus reminds him of the commandments, and the young man, who by this time must have been rather pleased with himself, says, “That’s me! I do all of that!” Are we sometimes that person, a little bit pleased with our faith?
Jesus looks at him and loves him, and then he tells him, “Sell what you own, give the money to the poor and follow me.” The man was shocked, and he went away grieving, because he was a rich man with many possessions. Jesus had just loving shared with this young man words that would lead him to eternal life, and the man turned away, grieving. Why would he do that? Why do we do that?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home