Saturday, October 06, 2012

Membership

My post today is about membership.

I was at a meeting the day before yesterday. We started talking about membership.

What does it mean to be a member of something? What does it mean to be a member of a church? Do we sometimes gets confused by the word?

We can be the member of an organization, like a country club. It has its rights and privileges. We can be a member of a church, and that's not the same thing. Being a member of a church should be compared to being a member of the body of Christ.

Two different things, and yet sometimes perhaps we act as if church is a club and we are members. Are we confused? Does our term membership confuse others, outside of the church?

What does it mean to you to be a member of your church?



Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

To me it means this is the place I belong.

4:33 AM  
Blogger birdwatcher said...

I think part of the confusion stems from "our" definition of "member" versus someone who attends regularly, makes a site their church "home" but has not gone through the liturgical part of becoming a "member".

8:57 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Between a group reading Butker Bass's Christianity After Religion with her belong-behave-believe notion for this generation and people enacting just that ("I'm not sure what I believe or if I can affirm everything the church stands for, but I feel like I belong to this community") we've been having this conversation in various venues in our church. As I try to staff the church school, it becomes tricky...

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home