Monday, November 07, 2011

My Territory

A few years ago a book came out based on the Prayer of Jabez:
Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, ‘Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from hurt and harm!’ And God granted what he asked.   I Chronicles 4:10
Enlarge my territory.  At first reading, this phrase always bothered me.  I know there are ways to interpret the passage that don't make it sound like a prayer for MORE MORE MORE, but still.

On Sunday, Joe mentioned this prayer, but he made a change.  What if we were to pray, "Inhabit my territory"?  Inhabit my heart, my life, my words, my actions.  Inhabit all that I am. 
Then, the prayer can become "enlarge my territory."  If God will inhabit who and what we are, then expanding the reach of God becomes the goal of the prayer.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home