Friday, November 11, 2011

A Modern Parable

Inspired by Matthew 25:14-30 (The Parable of the talents)

One day, God was sitting in the parlor of the church with three of the church members.  God had been working with this group of three for many months, teaching them about himself, leading them in the work of his kingdom.  He had called them together for a meeting – these three disciples were very good United Methodists, and God knew that a meeting was what was necessary to get them organized.   He even had asked one of them to bring donuts and coffee, so that all of them would realize how serious he was.

He told them, “I will never leave you alone, but for the next couple of months, I have to go across town and work with another church.  While I’m gone, I want you to use what I have given you to do the work that I have taught you.”

All three of them agreed. 

To the first disciple, whose name was Peggy, God had given the gift of preaching.  Peggy worked very hard to spread the good news of grace, planning her sermons with care, praying for God’s leadership, and preaching with every ounce of talent she had. She preached at her church and she said yes when other churches asked her to preach.  God’s word was known through her.

To the second disciple, whose name was Stan, God had given the gift of service.  Stan’s heart burned with the need to help people.  He volunteered at the local food bank, he drove the van on Sundays so that the neighborhood children could come to Sunday school, he would surprise the older members of the congregation by mowing their lawns.  Stan tried to love people with a love like God had shown him, and even though at times he made mistakes, people in the community began to know the grace of God better through Stan’s service.

To the third disciple, whose name was Mark, God had given the gift of music.  Mark found great joy in singing.  He agreed to sing in worship one Sunday morning, but couldn’t decide which hymn would be best to present, so he delayed his offering for a week.  He tried to practice, but he worried that he would damage his voice by using it, so when the time came in worship for him to present his solo, his voice was timid and his song was unsure.  People squirmed in their seats, and felt sorry for Mark.  No one really paid attention to his message of grace.

Just in time for Christmas, God returned to the Church.  He called his disciples together for a Volunteer Luncheon, preparing for them three kinds of soup and pimento cheese sandwiches.  “So, tell me, my beloved, how has it been going?”

Peggy said, “Master, I have shared your good news using the gift you have given to me.  After several of the worship services I led, people would approach me and tell me stories of how your word had touched their hearts.  I am so thankful to have been able to do this.”

And God said, “Well done, my child.  Continue in your ministry.  Perhaps you shall soon hear my call to ordained ministry in the church.”

Stan’s report came next.  “Master, I have tried to spread your love throughout the community.  I have been blessed to see that as people are loved, they begin to love others around them.  In fact, one night I prepared a meal for the youth group, and I watched as they made plans to take the left-over baked chicken to the homeless shelter.  It is amazing to me how your love spreads through each of us.”

And God said, “Well done, my child.  Continue in your ministry.  I believe that soon you will be called to join others of my children on a mission trip.  And what about you, Mark?  How has it gone with you?”

Mark, who had sat without speaking throughout the meeting, said, “I know, Master, how precious this gift is that you have given to me, and I know how important your message is to the world.  I tried to use your gift to me, but I was afraid I would make a mistake.  I worried that I would proclaim your word incorrectly through my music, or that I would damage my voice if I used it too much.”

And God said, “You were right to believe that the gift I gave you is precious, and you were right to think that the message is important.  It is urgent that the message of my love is shared with those around you.  You were afraid because you chose to work without me, and because of that, you were alone.  You will continue to be alone until you turn and follow me.  Others will have to do the work you are too afraid to attempt.”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home