Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Theology vs Polity

In a meeting last week, a member of the committee told us that the United Methodist Church has an egalitarian theology and a hierarchical polity. That difference causes a tension in the church.

I think I agree with her, and I have felt that tension.

When I have done Children's Moment during worship on Laity Sunday, and tried to explain to the kids who the Laity are, I have to define "minister." In a church where everyone is a minister, explaining what a (ordained) minister is is difficult.

We have a Convocation Sunday in my church. Several elders are associated with our Charge Conference. On Convocation Sunday, they process into worship in their robes and sit together on the front row. I am so pleased that we recognize them, and yet there is something about it that nags at me. How can I feel both ways? I feel an internal tension about it.

The clergy and the laity have different but equally important roles in the church, each with wonderful access to God, but sometimes I feel as if our polity doesn't reflect that.

And it could all be in my head!

I do love, though, that we have an equalitarian theology. It is a reflection of our belief that we are all children of God.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home