Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Best Choice or not

Today I read Genesis 46-47.  In these chapters, the family arrives from out of town, and moves to Egypt.  I noticed a few things that I don't remember from reading these chapters previously:
  • In the genealogy printed in these chapters, very few female offspring are mentioned, and those who are, don't count in the totals.  Hmm.
  • Joseph instructs his family to tell the Pharaoh that they are shepherds, not farmers.  They do have livestock; it's not a stretch, but they aren't really shepherds.  My notes say he does it so that they will not be seen to make a claim on land, and so that they will be sent to Goshen, away from the population center.  They are welcome, but they are foreigners.
  • I remember Jacob asking Joseph to promise to not bury him in Egypt.

All of this together makes me wonder if anyone was really comfortable with the situation -- either Joseph, Jacob, the family, the Pharoah or even the people of Egypt.  It seems happy and great, but I wonder if already they are concerned about the future.  Joseph does this so that his family will be secure in the the famine, but I wonder if it is only a "best choice from among the bad."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home